All we need at times are words of encouragement, a mantra we can say to ourselves every day to look past the pain that a broken heart brings. These letting go quotes will do just that.
We really do need that tiny push that will make us move forward and see the light in all the darkness that surrounds us.
No matter how slow the healing process might be, the important thing is that we place one foot in front of the other and walk towards our future instead of constantly looking back and dwelling on all the what ifs.
Letting go of people and situations that weren’t meant to be is the best and only option we have. Relationships should never be forced or begged for; they should be as natural as breathing and they should come from both ends.
No matter how hard letting go is, one day we will wake up and realize that it was the best decision we ever made.
We are sometimes so blinded by a momentary situation that we don’t see the bigger picture. We don’t see all the benefits of letting go and letting things take their own course. It’s in the way of our own destiny.
It’s time to stop doing that and take a look at incredible letting go quotes to find the inspiration you need to move on:
1. “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.”
2. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.”
3. “Let things go. Release them. Detach yourself from them. Stop turning on your emotional television to watch the same program over and over again, the one that shows how much you suffered from a certain loss: that is only poisoning you, nothing else.”
4. “One of the hardest lessons is letting go. Whether it’s guilt, anger, love, loss, or betrayal. Change isn’t easy. We fight to hold on and we fight to let go.”
5. “Don’t be afraid of losing someone who doesn’t feel lucky to have you.”
6. “Some people are meant to stay while others are meant to leave and there’s really no difference between the two. Except for the way you change when you realize you have nothing else left to give.”
R. M. Drake
7. “I’ve learned a lot this year… I learned that things don’t always turn out the way you planned, or the way you think they should. And I’ve learned that there are things that go wrong that don’t always get fixed or get put back together the way they were before. I’ve learned that some broken things stay broken, and I’ve learned that you can get through bad times and keep looking for better ones, as long as you have people who love you.”
8. “I am too full of life to be half-loved.”
9. “The human spirit is more powerful than any drug and that is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship and family. These are the things that matter.”
10. “Letting go is the willingness to change your beliefs in order to bring more peace and joy into your life instead of holding onto beliefs that bring pain and suffering…”
11. “It is not lies or a lack of loyalty that ends a relationship. It is the agonizing truth that one person feels in their heart on a daily basis. It is realizing that you are coping and not living. It is the false belief that there is a verse, quote, phrase or talk that will magically make you feel content, complete or not care. However, it doesn’t last longer than a few days, before your mind and heart goes back to what it wants. It is the moment you realize that you left without ever leaving. It is the moment you realize that fear, shame or guilt is the only thing standing in the way of the life God meant for you to live.”
Shannon L. Alder
12. “If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.”
C. JoyBell C.
13. “Sometimes holding on does more damage than letting go.”
14. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.”
15. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”
16. “If you want to fly on the sky, you need to leave the earth. If you want to move forward, you need to let go the past that drags you down.”
17. “Life is just a slide. Back and forth between loving and leaving, remembering and forgetting, holding on and letting go.”
18. “Let things go. Release them. Detach yourself from them. Stop turning on your emotional television to watch the same program over and over again, the one that shows how much you suffered from a certain loss: that is only poisoning you, nothing else.”
19. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.”
Roy T. Bennett
20. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”
21. “Know this: you can start over, each morning.”
22. “Distance sometimes lets you know who is worth keeping, and who is worth letting go.”
Lana Del Rey
23. “We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better.”
C. JoyBell C.
24. “Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it. It’s like boats. You keep your motor on so you can steer with the current. And when you hear the sound of the waterfall coming nearer and nearer, tidy up the boat, put on your best tie and hat, and smoke a cigar right up till the moment you go over. That’s a triumph.”
25. “Letting go doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.”
26. “If you have to force it, leave it. Relationships. Friendships. Yoga poses. Perfect ponytails. Let that shit go. “
27. “Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. The right people – the ones who really belong in your life – will come to you. And stay.”
28. “Sometimes the worst thing that happens to you, the thing you think you can’t survive… it’s the thing that makes you better than you used to be.”
29. “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
30. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were.”
31. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”
32. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.”
Shannon L. Alder
33. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.”
34. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.”
35. “Letting go may sound so simple, but rarely is it a one-time thing. Just keep letting go, until one day it’s gone for good.”
36. “Let go of certainty. The opposite isn’t uncertainty. It’s openness, curiosity and a willingness to embrace paradox, rather than choose up sides. The ultimate challenge is to accept ourselves exactly as we are, but never stop trying to learn and grow.”
37. “One of the most courageous decisions you’ll ever make is to finally let go of what is hurting your heart and soul.”
38. “I try to make sense of things. Which is why, I guess, I believe in destiny. There must be a reason I am as I am. There must be.”
39. “One of the simplest ways to stay happy is letting go of the things that make you sad.”
40. “Let it hurt, then let it go.”
R. H. Sin
41. “Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.”
Gerald G. Jampolsky
42. “If you didn’t love him, this never would have happened. But you did. And accepting that love and everything that followed it is part of letting it go.”
43. “You can’t possibly embrace that new relationship, that new companion, that new career, that new friendship, or that new life you want, while you’re still holding on to the baggage of the last one. Let go… and allow yourself to embrace what is waiting for you right at your feet.”
44. “I’m guilty of giving people more chances than they deserve but when I’m done, I’m done.”
45. “I’ve learned that some broken things stay broken, and I’ve learned that you can get through bad times and keep looking for better ones, as long as you have people who love you.”
46. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.”
47. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.”
48. “If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.”
Michael Bassey Johnson
49. “When we think we have been hurt by someone in the past, we build up defenses to protect ourselves from being hurt in the future. So the fearful past causes a fearful future and the past and future become one. We cannot love when we feel fear… When we release the fearful past and forgive everyone, we will experience total love and oneness with all.”
Gerald G. Jampolsky
50. “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”
51. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.”
52. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are & what you really want out of life? Right after a break-up.”
53. “The pain will leave once it has finished teaching you.”
54. “I demolish my bridges behind me… then there is no choice but to move forward.”
55. “Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it’s the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open. But my hand has been clenched into a fist for three years now; it’s frozen shut.”
56. “The only real battle in life is between hanging on and letting go.”
Shannon L. Alder
57. “There is beauty all around us, and the light finds us when we realize, we are all part of that beauty and worth the cherishing. If we despise any, we journey to despise ourselves. See all as beautiful, even if they choose to see themselves through you, as being less than so. We have the power to see for each, and be the reflection of what they may yet see.”
58. “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go.”
59. “As an empath, it’s vital that you learn how to hold space for your emotions, even the most painful ones. By anchoring yourself in your breath, you can learn how to witness the emotional energy of others within you, without attaching yourself to these sensations.”
60. “To let go is to release the images and emotions, the grudges and fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.”
61. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.”
62. “Once you realize you deserve a bright future, letting go of your dark past is the best choice you will ever make.”
Roy T. Bennett
63. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energy moving forward together towards an answer.”
64. “You’ll never get what you truly deserve if you remain attached to what you’re supposed to let go of.”
65. “I’ve learned more from pain than I could’ve ever learned from pleasure.”
66. “Anything I cannot transform into something marvelous, I let go.”
67. “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is.”
68. “Being happy is letting go of what slows you down.”
69. “ Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing there’s a future.”
Daphne Rose Kingma
70. “The day I understood everything, was the day I stopped trying to figure everything out. The day I knew peace was the day I let everything go.”
C. JoyBell C.
71. “The greatest loss of time is delay and expectation, which depend upon the future. We let go the present, which we have in our power, and look forward to that which depends upon chance, and so relinquish a certainty for an uncertainty.”
72. “There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.”
73. “What happens when you let go when your strength leaves you and you sink into darkness, when there’s nothing that you or anyone else can do, no matter how desperate you are, no matter how you try? Perhaps it’s then, when you have neither pride nor power, that you are saved, brought to an unimaginably great reward.”
74. “You can only lose what you cling to.”
75. “Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.”
Shannon L. Alder
76. “Why let go of yesterday? Because yesterday has already let go of you.”
77. “Life moves on and so should we.”
I hope you’ve found the letting go quote that is just right for you. Now write it down on a post-it or print it, then frame it and place it somewhere where you can see it every day.
Let it be your daily reminder that you are on the right track. That you are healing, growing, and evolving, and that life has better things in store for you.
There is always good in goodbye, even if we don’t see it right away.
Letting go is never easy, but you will realize sooner or later that we need to let some things go so that something better can enter our lives.